My photo
Believer, Lover, Leader, Follower, Writer, Singer, Wife, Mother, Mimi, Sister, Friend

Let us "let" us be who we are!

One body, many members... Romans 12: 6-8,  We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. 7If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; 8if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully."


Here is what jumps out at me in these three verses: if a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach, if it is encouraging, let him encourage...Do you see where I'm going here? I used to read this and think "if someone has the gift of prophecy, he better be doing it." and "There is no excuse for a teacher not to teach..." I have read this scripture and put the emphasis in the wrong place...Today, I read it and see that it is my responsibility to let the man who's gift is prophecy prophesy; I am to let the servant serve; the teacher teach...Do you see what I mean? I used to think this scripture was telling the prophet and the servant and the teacher and the encourager and the giver and the leader and the merciful one that they had to 'do.'  But I think this scripture may really be talking to me (to us, the one body, with many members) saying, 'let these people 'be' who they are; give them the space, the place, the permission they need to function according to their Master's design....let them be who they are; and find out who I am and start 'being' that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true, and not be jealous or try to compete, but let ourselves be as God has designed us. Thank you Lori!
Love ya, Barb Salmon

marlece said...

whoa, yah baby, never read it like this before. Wow, it says also one part of the body can't function correctly without the other part. We do need one another don't we?

Beth Archer said...

Yeah, that is VERY good Lori. I think so many times we shut down the work of the Holy Spirit because we don't like the vessel that is being used.

We can't judge one's gift by looking at the vessel. Maturity takes time and the gifts are without repentance. Sometimes, a powerful gift comes in an immature package.

I think the Gifts of the Spirit and the Fruit of the Spirit are meant to balance one another out. The gifts are given instantaneously, but the fruit takes time to grow and mature.